About The School  

Beauregard High School Mission Statement

Beauregard High School Crest

Lee County Mission

The Lee County School System will take a prominent role advocating a progressive education for each student in our schools.  The mission of Lee County Schools is to educate every student through a comprehensive and academically challenging curriculum taught in a safe and nurturing environment.  We challenge students to pursue dreams, succeed with integrity, and contribute meaningfully to a diverse society.

Beauregard High School Profile

2009-2010

Excellence has become the expectation at Beauregard High School.  We have begun to rally around our school motto:  "Hornets will Be responsible, Have respect, Seek success."  This motto serves as the daily reminder that our school fosters a culture of high academic expectation and one in which we expect all students to learn and grow. 

Our Strengths

For the 2008-2009 school year we at Beauregard demonstrated our expectations of high academic excellence by reaching a graduation rate for the class of 2009 of 98%.  In addition, we met 13 of 13 goals for Adequate Yearly Progress.  We set our goal for the Alabama High School Graduation Exam passing rate for the class of 2009 at 90%.  We exceeded that goal-by 5%.  Our success has been found in employing researched-based instruction strategies from the Alabama Reading Initiative, which we will continue to do. 

Our Goals

After reviewing our testing data from the Alabama High School Graduation exam, we found the following:

Class of 2007

  • 96% passed reading
  • 93% passed language
  • 96% passed mathematics
  • 92% passed social studies
  • 94% passed science

Class of 2008

  • 98% passed reading
  • 96% passed language
  • 97% passed math
  • 97% passed social studies
  • 98% passed science

Class of 2009

  • 96% passed reading
  • 96% passed language
  • 96% passed math
  • 95% passed social studies
  • 95% passed science

Currently, the Class of 2010's data indicates:

  • 86% have passed reading
  • 90% have passed language
  • 88% have passed math
  • 74% have passed social studies
  • 94% have passed science.

Our goal for each subject area is 90%.  We will continue to employ ARI and TEAM Math strategies to further improve the learning culture at Beauregard High School. 


Transcript Request Form

Send the transcript request form (in the forms link) along with a $5.00 money order to Beauregard High School.


The History of Beauregard

Beauregard School in 1972

      Beauregard High School is a public high school located in rural Lee County, Alabama, about six miles south of Opelika and seven miles southeast of Auburn on Highway 51. The school has been at this site since the 1890s when land was donated by Mr. Louis A. Whatley. The original school, named Whatley School, was a one-room building which served 40 children. In 1921 consolidation of Whatley School and Wright School occurred under the direction of W. Y Fleming, County Superintendent of Education. In 1923 five more schools - Thompson School near the Mayfield-Whatley home, Hopewell School near Hopewell Church, Hinson School south of Hopewell Church, Parker School near Lime Kiln Road, and Dorsey School on Griffin Mill Road - merged with Whatley School. A few years later five more schools - Cross Roads School on Mitchell Mill Road, Pleasant Grove School near Pleasant Grove Church, Sand Hill School near the old Sand Hill Church, Watoola School near Watoola Church, and Marvyn School in Marvyn - also consolidated with Whatley School, and the enrollment grew to 250 students in grades 1 through 11. In 1927, the twelfth grade was added and the school became accredited.

      In 1928 the name Whatley School was changed to Beauregard High School when Mrs. Dolf Parker, formerly known as Kate Grimmett, who was interested and well-versed in southern history, asked that the school be named after the Civil War General Pierre Gustave Tuotant Beauregard. At this time the school mascot became the Hornet because of a major military offensive lead by General Beauregard at Shiloh in the War between the States. The sunken area in which General Beauregard established the largest concentration of artillery yet to be assembled in an American war became so thick with the blasts of canister and rifle fire that this area became known as the "Hornet's Nest." Beauregard won the day by routing the enemy, and his troops would long speak of Beauregard's Hornets. Thus, the Hornet became the perfect mascot for Beauregard School.

      The 1970-71 school year brought about a major change for Beauregard School. At this time integration was incorporated, so Sanford School and Beauregard School consolidated to form an elementary division consisting of grades 1-3 and a high school division consisting of grades 10-12 and being housed on Beauregard campus. The middle school division consisting of grades 4-9 was housed at Sanford School, which became known as Sanford Junior High.

      Over the years there have been many changes in the physical plant. For twenty years the campus remained the same. Electricity was added in 1936 and indoor plumbing was added in 1939. Basketball began in 1932 when basketball goals were added to the school auditorium, which soon became known as the "cracker box" because of its size. Another gymnasium was built in 1962. As the attendance continued to grow, many additions were made to the school facility. Also, grades 4 and 9 were returned to Beauregard School. The present campus consists of an administrative building, a cafeteria, a building with thirteen classrooms and the gymnasium built in 1962, another gymnasium completed in 1987, a vocational agriculture building, and band building, and facilities for football, softball, baseball, and track. In 1990 the school's enrollment was 1,016 students in K-4 and 9-12. By 1992 enrollment had increased enough for the high school and elementary school to be divided into an elementary division and a high school division with both divisions being on the same campus.

      Since its inception in the 1920s, Beauregard School has been under the leadership of ten principals. The first principal was Miss Myrtle Jordan, who was followed by Mrs. E. E. Newton. She was replaced by Mrs. J. W. Sparks in 1926. Some of these first principals and also some of the early teachers at the school boarded with the Louis Whatley family directly across from the school. Mr. W. A. Rowell became the first male principal in 1927. He was followed by Mr. W. H. MacGregor, Mr. O. L. Entrekin, Mr. F. E. Thomas, Mr. John W. Harris (1943-1970), Mr. Jim Strong (1970-1978), and presently Mr. Richard L. Brown, Sr. who has been principal since 1978.

      With its meager beginning as a one room school, Beauregard High School has indeed continued to grow and become the modern, progressive facility, but the people of the community will always remember its history as a source of pride.